Hi folks! Hope your Xmas/Solstice/Hannukah/Festivus hols are chugging along pleasantly! Scott here, with a reminder that 2015 rapidly approaches, and that means our monthly meeting for the January. Our venue, Swan’s, is hosting another event on our usual Monday evening, so please be aware that we are moving the Main Event into the future by 24 hours! The January meetup will be taking place on Tuesday, January 6th.
This month’s feature presenter is Bryan Dempsey, whose background and interests include electronics, jazz vocals, rhythm guitar, MIDI music, motion-capture, adult education and 3D simulations. Bryan’s studied multimedia production and programming for Virtual Reality applications at NBCC-Miramichi; co-developed a 3D simulator to teach industrial equipment procedures for ID Group-Montreal; developed a 3D simulator to remotely-control smart-home devices for Horizon Technologies here in Victoria.
Bryan will be demonstrating a 3D Rhythm Guitar Trainer simulation that he’s developed. This simulation is designed to provide a rhythm guitar student with a 3D avatar teacher that can demonstrate how play a sequence of chords on a 3D guitar. Chords and rhythm styles are selected by the user and entered into a lead sheet, and the simulator then uses the chord information and rhythm style rules to play the chord sequence. Bryan will also be speaking about the next steps he’ll be taking into accurate, affordable motion capture for his trainer (using ControlVR) which will…
- quickly and accurately determine the guitar chord hand shapes for the chord database
- stream guitar lessons (real-time, 2-way, 3D guitar playing) to/with one or more, on-line guitar students
- record guitar lessons (or stand-alone performances) with synchronized Mo-Cap, MIDI guitar, and voice data.
There will also be a short talk from Nathan Hessman of the UVic Game Development group. Nathan will be taking on the task of organizing the GGJ this year in partnership with IGDA Victoria.
We have a private room with a projector and a ton of space. Show off your current projects; do some play-testing; or just relax and enjoy the awesome local food and craft-brewed beer.
- 4:30pm: Doors open (room is locked earlier)
- 5:10pm: Opening announcements by group organizers
- 5:15pm: Featured presentation
- 5:45pm: Open stage for show-and-tell, networking and socializing
- 7:30pm: Venue closes (We are free to move to the main bar if we wish)
See you there!
Tuesday, January 6th (Please note: this is not our regular meet-up night, but Swans is hosting another event on Monday)
Buckerfields aka The Collard Room – Swans Hotel and Brewpub
506 Pandora Avenue, Victoria, BC
Doors open at 4:30pm
Please RSVP via the Meetup event